Options

Getting error message "The database cache is too small"

jfmartinezhjfmartinezh Member Posts: 8
I am getting the following error message "The database cache is too small. The cache must minimum 0.012% of the size of the database. In this case cache must be minimum 16480"

I just created a 120 GB native database. It is split it on 6 different hard drives. So I have J:\Migration\Test.fdb, K:\Migration\Test1.fdb + etc. I am gonna upgrade from NAV3.70 to NAV5.0 with a Native database first. Once everything is stable I will migrate to SQL.

I could open the database without problems when I click on one of the sets. But I am getting an error message then I try to do it using the server. I want an specific user to start testing compatibility of NAV5.0 and Windows 7. Also printers.

I got the following information on the icon on the Target field:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\CSIDE Client\fin.exe" servername=MIGRATION, nettype=tcp,database=J:\Migration\Test.fdb+K:\Migration\Test1.fdb+L:\Migration\Test2.fdb+M:\Migration\Test3.fdb+N:\Migration\Test4.fdb+O:\Migration\Test5.fdb

I also checked the server for NAV5.0 and I got the following information:
Starting database server: MIGRATION...
Cache (Kb)......................250000
CommitCache...................YES
MaximumSessions..............3
MaximumDatabase (Mb)......193536
NetType..........................TCP
Database......................... J:\Migration\Test.fdb+K:\Migration\Test1.fdb+L:\Migration\Test2.fdb+M:\Migration \Test3.fdb+N:\Migration\Test4.fdb+O:\Migration\Test5.fdb

Any ideas where the message is coming from?

Comments

• Options
    ppavukppavuk Member Posts: 334
    Never tried to run so big DB on native. I'll would migrate to sql first, and after this will do upgrade. You can use version 5.0 executables to make all upgrade procedures, so sql would be best option. Just make nav backup and restore it to sql database using v5 executables. Are you migrating to 5.0 or 5.1?
  • Options
    FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\CSIDE Client\fin.exe" servername=MIGRATION, nettype=tcp,database=J:\Migration\Test.fdb+K:\Migration\Test1.fdb+L:\Migration\Test2.fdb+M:\Migration\Test3.fdb+N:\Migration\Test4.fdb+O:\Migration\Test5.fdb
    It has probably nothing to do with your problem but setting the database= on the client is not necessary as the server has it open anyway.

Probably NAV is complaining about the DBMS Cache or the Object Cache of the client. Try to set the cache= or objectcache= parameter when starting the client.
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting