SQL Server Runtime Edition License and Full Sql License

chanderchander Member Posts: 12
edited 2010-07-02 in Navision Attain
Hello,

Could anyone please help me on the below required information.

What is Sql Server Runtime Edition license.

If I don't have a SQL License of any type, would i be able to run Microsoft SQL Server option for Navision. If no, then what would i need to do to make the SQL Server option run.

As per the application developer's guide -

To install a stand-alone client for SQL Server, you must install the Microsoft SQL Server

Express along with the client. This installs a local instance of SQL Server and attaches a

demonstration SQL Server database to the server. When you start the client, it

automatically opens the demonstration database.

Do i have to get the SQL Server Express edition separately.

Can I use SQL Server Express edition for Production system without license.

or

Can I use SQL Server Express edition for development/testing navision system without license.

I have asked a no. of questions but if anyone could answer it, his cooperation will be highly appreciated and thanks heaps in advance

Comments

• PoltergeistPoltergeist Member Posts: 200
    The SQL Server Express edition is on the NAV CD/DVD (on 2009 it's in the prerequisites directory), and you are free to use it. You can use the express edition in both a production environment and a development environment. However, SQL Express only support 4 GB databases. And even as you don't have to buy SQL Cal's, you still do need a NAV license, with the appropriate number of users.
  • strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    The "SQL Server Runtime License for Dynamics NAV" is basically a SQL Server license (Standard or Enterprise) which you purchase with your NAV license.
    E.g. a "Standard" license costs 120 EUR per User (EE 220 EUR), Server incl. CAL.
    Thus, if you have a system with 10 Users you pay 10 x 220 EUR = 2220 EUR for SQL Server EE license incl. 10 CAL - that's much cheaper than standard licensing (with small numbre of users)!
    Technical there is NO differenece between Runtime license or normal license - SQL Server STD or EE is exactly the same product. But with Runtime you are only allowed to use the SQL Server for Dynamics NAV only, nothing else!

Regarding "Express Edition": this is for stand-alone test or small development systems only.
    NEVER use this poor, crappy, low-lewel edition for a productive system!

For real ERP business we're ONLY talking about Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition, anything else you will terribly regret ...
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    · There is no technical differences between the runtime and full licensing versions of SQL. The runtime will do everything the full version will do. The difference is in how they are licensed and possible limitations. While the runtime price may seem attractive it is not always the most economical depending on site needs and future plans.

· The runtime license can only be used to support NAV (plus related applications on the same server)

o This means that if BI4Dynamics is run on the same SQL Server then it can share the runtime license. However if it is on a different server then it needs its own license (not another NAV runtime but a full license)

o Applications/databases not associated with NAV could not be run on the same server

· The runtime license is a named-user based license. This means you must have license for every user set up on the server.

· The runtime license cannot be moved to another application/server.

· The runtime license cannot be used if you can’t control the number of users connecting. For example: If the NAV database is accessible from a public website that allows anonymous users.

· If these restrictions are acceptable then the runtime can be a valid option.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.