Options

CuteFTP and NAS

chrisdfchrisdf Member Posts: 82
edited 2010-03-04 in NAV Tips & Tricks
Here are some tips on using CuteFTP and the Job Scheduler running under NAS.

First, there's a reasonably good explanation of how to use CuteFTP here:

http://www.revolution1210.com/article.asp?r0=3&r1=199

Next, I found that using this utility works absolutely fine when running from normal user credentials. I then tested running under as a job under NAS on my Vista laptop - created a service and all worked fine.

However, if you want to run an application that uses CuteFTP as an Automation object and then schedule it to run in the Job Queue under NAS on Windows Server OS then the application fails saying that it cannot create an instance of the Automation object etc. etc. (long string of GUID hexidecimal characters).

It seems that although you set up the service that runs NAS with a log on account (I was using adminstrative account), the TE object fails to inherit the permissions of the service that is running it.

[Note that if you create an instance of NAS in the DOS shell it will work fine - it is only when you install NAS as a service and run it from there]

The solution is to run DCOMCNFG and configure the TEConnection as per the instructions below. After that, all worked fine (but it cost me a lot of time finding this out - hope it helps someone else!)

To configure the TE under the DCOM configuration applet
1. On the Windows Start menu, click Run.
2. In the Run dialog box, type:
DCOMCNFG
3. Click OK. The Windows Component Services dialog box appears.
4. In the left pane, expand Component Services, expand Computers, expand My Computer, expand DCOM Config, then click TEConnection Class.
5. Right-click TEConnection Class, then click Properties. The TEConnection Class Properties dialog box appears.
6. Click the Identity tab.
7. Under Which user account do you want to use to run this application, click This user, then provide a valid user name and password. It must be the same user as established under your task scheduler's run as property (if applicable), so that the scheduler service can call the COM object as a user. This will enable the Transfer Engine to run with the user settings, and if necessary, access pre-established SSL certificates (for secure connections).
8. Click OK to save the changes, and close the Properties dialog box.
9. Close the Component Services dialog box.

Comments